The mission for this project is to create a grouping of three book covers and jackets that are intended to work together and are treated in a visually cohesive manner. The selection of books could all be from the same author or they could be from the same genre but written by various authors and issued by the same publisher. While maintaining the unique characteristics and meaning specific to the individual books and titles in the collection, the covers and jackets should be treated with a systematized visual approach such that they could be marketed and/or sold together as a set, collection, or series. - Professor Theron Moore
I knew from the beginning that I wanted to tackle the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini for this project. The issue was trying to figure out how to go from there. After experimenting with different designs and ideas, I decided that the best approach would be to convey how I felt when reading the series as a kid and now trying to recall information. The design process incorporated the chaotic, confused, and whimsical feeling I had reading and recollecting the series while incorporating significant locations in the chaotic design. Furthermore, the project’s premise was to create a grouping of three book covers and jackets. While referencing my collection, working on the last three books in the tetralogy would best fit my concept and nod to the series’s original goal of being a trilogy.
To create a sense of chaotic feeling, I decided to use a repeat text and patterns for each book and connect it to the fantasy-action genre of the book. I decided to include the dragon aspect already present in the current covers. Leaning more towards the draconic, fantasy-like approach, I decided to burn the book’s covers while making it a multi-layered cover. Making it multi-layered would hopefully attract the reader to investigate the series further by looking through each layer to reveal different burns and, in turn, get hooked and develop further interest in the series.
The result is a grouping of burned, multi-layered covers with a similar color stained, semi-transparent jacket with the book name on the spine. The jacket was textured to mimic a form of wrinkly or foreign skin and was stained using coffee with or without the appropriate food dye. The intended result is to attract people of all ages to the series while capturing the interest of readers and potential collectors interested in the design and series. After presenting my work, the reaction of my peers and the professor was extremely positive.