Craig Tomson, Associate Creative Director / Brand Expression
Chief Creative Officer
Associate Creative Director
A local brewery owner with an existing name and “home brewed” logo needed help to elevate the brand, create packaging for a full line of products, and develop a visual approach for an expanding brewery tap house and distribution/retail business.
• Leveraged the brewer’s background in geology and the community’s history of salt mining to create a cohesive origin story and give meaning to the existing “Salt City Brewing Co.” name, including the tagline, “Elements of Great Taste.”
• Redesigned the existing logo to reflect the brand theme, with modern iconography and an image of hops in a mining cart as a nod to the brewer’s focus on superior ingredients.
• Industrial, straightforward graphics, palette, and language support the hardworking, DIY aspect of the brand and friendly, community spirit of the brewer and his collaborators.
• Packaging designs for the full line of flagship beers, a simple website, apparel, collateral, signage, and point-of-sale items (including beer taps) brought the brand into alignment, creating a consistent, easy-to-recognize face for the craft beer line.
• On March 31, 2021, the expanded taproom and brewhouse (with a design reflecting the industrial brand elements) sold its single first beer out of the location, with 18 beers regularly on tap, a menu of 30 beers rotating in production, and a full menu of food.
• Distribution has widened to reach all major population centers across the state and Salt City beer is also on tap at select restaurants and bars across Kansas.
• The owner reports that sales are consistent, strong, and increasing rapidly, both on location at the taproom and across retail locations, bars, and restaurants.
• With COVID restrictions lifted and the taproom remodel complete, the brewery hosted a community outdoor celebration attracting more than 1,000 people, a cooperative effort with the city underscoring the brewery’s success in garnering community-wide support for their hometown craft beer hub.