The assignment was to create a poster using experimental typography. Students had few options such as different events to learn about and create the poster. Since I enjoy opera, I decided to take on the challenge and create a poster for Rigoletto using experimental typography.
Before starting to create anything, I started doing research on the opera itself, and learned about the story of Rigoletto. I did research on their costumes, the colors they used, the theme and story. Once I knew I had enough knowledge about the play I started experimenting with materials, such as candles, different types of fabric, and shadows. I decided to cut out the letters from felt fabric sheets, in order to and position them on black felt in order for the texture to stand out.
Once I was finished with the letters, I took photographs of the finished material in order to start the digital part of the assignment. I was very happy with the end result and how the texture and material that was used represented their costumes. The color palette was taken again from the costume colors and the stage lighting. The letter “g” was emphasized for the character Gilda, who the story revolves around. The poster altogether was a success.