After reading the supplied text, each student will thoroughly develop process inspired by the content of the article. Students will then design a two page opening spread to help visually communicate some idea of the text. The goal is to provoke interest. Students are encouraged to generate their own imagery.
I began with an extensive word list and research, drew loose ideas, then choose the top twelve to draw tightly. After an interim critique, I moved forward with the three strongest concepts and created six roughs. Prior to the final roughs, I photographed images to support my concepts and explored many typographic treatments. Once I perfected the imagery and typography, I created multiple versions of the final spread. After choosing the best layout, I made minor revisions and then submitted my final work.
Well executed solution, visual interest, scale, eye flow, and typographic hierarchy. The majority of the process work was done outside of the computer: the bug was hand painted, the images were shot by the student at home, and the typography was hand drawn.